2 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 cups yellow onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 jalapeno peppers, minced (seeds, opt.*)
2-15oz. cans diced tomatoes
1-2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch dice
2-15oz. cans black beans, drained
1 pound portobello mushrooms, cubed
1-15oz. can tomato sauce
2 cups frozen corn
1 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Cooked brown rice, accompaniment
Chopped , garnish
Light sour cream, garnish
Franks Red Hot sauce
1. In small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper, and set aside.
2. In large Dutch Oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, red pepper, garlic, andjalapeno peppers, and saute until soft.
3. Add the zucchini, mushrooms, and corn, and cook, stirring, until vegetables give off their liquid (about 5 minutes) .
4. Add the spice mixture, stir well to coat all of the vegetables. Cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock. Stir well and bring to boil.
6. Simmer on low heat for one hour.
7. Remove from heat, and stir in the cilantro. Adjust seasonings, to taste.
To serve, place 1/2 cup brown rice in bottom of each bowl. Ladle one cup of chili into the bowls over the rice. Top each serving with 1-2 tablespoons of sour cream, and garnish with chopped green onions. Add hot sauce, to taste.
(*For the faint of heart: seed one or both of the jalapeños before mincing)
Bon appetite and Good Health!