Monday, February 10, 2014

Nicely Done, Mom!

The screaming toddler was getting louder and louder. I had no idea what I was doing in the grocery store at 6 on a Saturday evening. But, there I was 3 deep in a self-checkout line that wasn't moving at all. And, the high voltage toddler was closing in.
As they walked by, the mom calmly talked to the 3 or 4-year-old boy dressed as Spiderman. She didn't yell, she didn't give in. They settled in line right next to me. I smiled at her and let her know I raised 3 kids and remembered the tantrum stage well. Then I turned to chat with Spidey himself for while, finding out that he also spends time as Batman and Superman.
Even in the midst of this crazed grocery store, his mom remained calm with excellent parenting. She didn't have a big cartload of food, but I did notice it was all healthy. Spiderman tried to coerce a candy bar, but it was nixed. I asked if I could give him a clementine, which was readily approved.
As this wonderful mom checked out, I looked at the healthy food and calm but tired little boy, and it made me happy. I wanted to give them both a hug...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know if you liked this post, have a question, want to add a comment or two, or even if you'd just like to say, "Hi!" Taking a minute to write in can really help others out there and make this blog even more fun for everyone!