Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Health Must Be a Priority

graurcodrin/freedigitalphotos
Health is worth more than learning.     
  -Thomas Jefferson
I'm sure I was run down. It had been a crazy 2 or more weeks and I was trying to do WAY too many things. Important things, I thought.  Things that really needed to be done, most for other people.  And, I was getting ready to head out to California to stay with my sister's kids while she and her husband went on a trip alone. I was looking forward to that: swimming pool, hot tub, gorgeous yard, great kids and cute puppy.


I was practicing a healthy lifestyle. Since my back has been healing from a herniated disc, I was slowly getting back into walking---I was up to an entire mile (this, of course, was after being able to run 3 miles.)  I was going to physical therapy, and doing my stretches and exercises. And, I was certainly still eating well balanced, nutritious foods, though occasionally, I'd eat at odd times or be a little more indulgent with sweet choices. What was missing? Rest, relaxation and time for me!


I was exhausted by the time my plane arrived here.  I started sneezing thinking that must be allergies. Then I started to go downhill. I knew I was sick.  By the third day, I crawled into a walk-in clinic thinking I must have bronchitis. After considerable care and testing there, the diagnosis was bronchitis and pneumonia.


The good news is the meds are really doing the trick and I am recovering well. The ironic part of all of this?  The topic for the MM Groups last week was: Rest, Relax, Breathe and Sleep. Ouch. I was a perfect example of what can happen when those aspects of health are neglected! 


And now, I am resting as much as I can, relaxing, breathing (at least one deep breath per hour!) and finally sleeping.


Lesson learned.




Health is the soul that animates all the enjoyments of life, which fade and are tasteless without it. -William Temple

1 comment:

  1. While sleep is one of the most important ingredients to being healthy, I think we all often overlook it to fit in 'more important' things. It's so hard sometimes to remember that it's worth missing out on something else. This post reminds me...I need to turn off the computer and get ready for bed!

    I hope you're feeling better soon and are able to enjoy your time in California!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know if you liked this post, have a question, want to add a comment or two, or even if you'd just like to say, "Hi!" Taking a minute to write in can really help others out there and make this blog even more fun for everyone!