Sunday, January 12, 2014

Obsession with Numbers

When I was a kid, I watched all the Miss America pageants. I was totally enthralled by the weights and heights that scrolled underneath each woman...110 pounds and 5'10"? Yea, right. Nothing like numbers to tell a kid she had no prayer even then.

In 7th grade, I was in Weight Watchers, where the leader actually called out at every meeting how much everyone gained or lost each week. You can bet your bottom pound I quit the day I knew the scales would go up. Numbers going up, not good.


We're a nation obsessed with numbers. Especially those that grade or rate our bodies: weight, BMI, % body fat, body measurements. Even our insurance company plays the body number game and gives a lower rate if you have an acceptable BMI. 


Numbers alone should not be allowed to tell us how good or bad we are. They are not who we are.If you're working on reducing body fat, be sure to look at more than just the scales: improved energy, strength, stamina, attitude, clothes fitting better, drop in blood pressure, or improved blood tests. Look for all positive changes. 


Lisa shared with me this week that she found a great new scale by Weight Guru's. This scale has a cool Weightless feature that allows you to set it to see your weight by number or simply by how much your weight has changed. AWESOME! I got so excited about this one possibly helping so many of you, that I ordered it right away on Amazon. Should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know if you liked this post, have a question, want to add a comment or two, or even if you'd just like to say, "Hi!" Taking a minute to write in can really help others out there and make this blog even more fun for everyone!