Ellen found Jean Carper's recipe for Vegetable Chicken Soup in USA Weekend 13 years ago, and it quickly turned into a go-to favorite! Put it on your list of dishes to try next!
Vegetable Chicken Soup
In a large saucepan, saute until lightly browned. Remove and place in small bowl.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken, cut into 1" chunks
Add to saucepan and cook, stirring until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed or minced
- 3/4 cup sliced carrots
Return chicken to pot, add and simmer partially covered for 20 -25 minutes.
- 1 cup cauliflower, in thick slices or chunks
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes with juice
- 4 cups non-fat, reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
Stir in and cook for 5 minutes.
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, torn in pieces
- 5 drops hot chili sauce (optional)
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Nutritional info: serves 4. 168 calories per serving/3 units. 19 g. protein, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 3 g fiber,