Monday, April 23, 2012

Busy Day, But Great Dinner Tonight!

It was one of those days when I was on the move all day long. I received my usual wake up call from Toby (our 8 year old dog) at 7 am---he absolutely never sleeps later than that.  Our morning walk was actually 1 1/2 miles,  which was nice for us since he suffers from hip dysplasia and arthritis and will often cut it short.

I taught class at the "Y"on the other side of town at 10:30, then ran a number of errands. I don't think a day goes by without plenty of those on my list. Then driving my daughter back to her college home an hour away. And stopping to load up on groceries, of course.

Luckily, I did teach my husband of 34 years how to cook a long time ago! He presented me with dinner ready when I got back at 6:45. Totally loved it...

He knew we had the extra 2 chicken breasts that I had him cook up when he had the grill going yesterday. Checking out what else we had on hand, he created his own version of Chicken Gyros...

Chicken Gyros

1. Make Tzatziki sauce by blending together:
        8 oz. plain non-fat Greek yogurt
        1/2 cucumber, finely diced (squeeze water out with several paper towels)
        1 clove of garlic, finely minced
        1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
        2 tsp olive oil
        1 Tbsp fresh dill, or 1 tsp dried
2. Warm in the microwave for 30 seconds:
        whole grain pita bread, cut in half
3. Fill each pocket with
        shredded lettuce, darker variety
        grilled chicken breast, thinly sliced
        red onion, thinly sliced
        low-fat feta cheese, very lightly sprinkled
        tomatoes, sliced

...They were so, so delicious!! And, I think I'm going to hang onto my husband!

Unit Cost:
     1 oz chicken = 1 (1 protein unit)
     1/2 pita = 2 (2 smart starch units)
     2 Tbsp Tzatziki sauce = 20 calories
     1 Tbsp low-fat feta cheese = 15 calories
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know if you liked this post, have a question, want to add a comment or two, or even if you'd just like to say, "Hi!" Taking a minute to write in can really help others out there and make this blog even more fun for everyone!