Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Who Am I?

 ArvindBalaraman
freedigitalphotos
Who Am I?                                                            

I am your constant companion.

I am your greatest helper or your heaviest burden.  Half of the tasks you do, you might just as well turn over to me and I will be able to do them quickly and correctly.

I am easily managed.  You must merely be firm with me.  Show me just exactly how you want something done, and after a few lessons, I will do it automatically.

I am the servant of all great men, and alas, of all failures as well.  Those who are great, I have made great.  Those who are failures, I have made failures.

I am not a machine, but I work with all the precision of a machine, plus the intelligence of a man.  You may run me for profit or run me for ruin.  It makes no difference to me.

Take me, train me, be firm with me, and I will put the work at your feet.  Be easy with me, and I will destroy you.  Who am I?

I Am Habit
     -author unknown-
______________________

This poem says so much.  It reminds us how important it is to practice a healthy lifestyle---over and over again. Unfortunately, if you are a frequent chip muncher, cookie chomper, or a couch potato, this less healthy lifestyle becomes a habit.  On the other hand, the more often we reach for good, healthy foods and get our bodies moving, these healthy behaviors also become habits. Choosing a healthy way of life is about repeating positive behaviors over and over again.  

If you end up slipping a bit and wallowing in a pit of M&M's, let it go.  Acknowledge that it happened and put an end to it.  In the very next minute you can, take a positive step toward health:  drink a glass of water, go for a walk, practice deep breathing exercises.  Consciously repeat these positive, healthy actions until they come more natural to you.  The more often you do something, the stronger that behavior becomes.  The more often you repeat that behavior, it develops into a habit. You are what you repeat!

Practice taking action with positive steps toward healthy behaviors that will build habits to create a healthy, happy you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know if you liked this post, have a question, want to add a comment or two, or even if you'd just like to say, "Hi!" Taking a minute to write in can really help others out there and make this blog even more fun for everyone!