Salsa is a Super food! Rich in antioxidants, high in nutrient density, low in calories, and high in taste...and it counts as a vegetable! Serve lots of different types: hot, mild, medium, chunky, smooth, black bean, mango, verde, etc.
Tortilla chips. Tortilla chips are usually made from ground whole corn, which is a good thing. Choose a brand with less salt added. South-of-the-Border chips are great, they're my husband's favorite. Baked are really quite good, but if you think your fans will need regular chips, too, provide both. You could even mix a bag of both in every bowl you serve which creates a fun variety in each bowl.
Make your own chips, guests love them!
- Heat oven to 375.
- Cut fat-free corn tortillas into chip size wedges.
- Spray chips with olive oil cooking spray, or lightly brush with canola or olive oil.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Flip over.
- Bake another 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt, if desired, or try adding a shake or two of cumin and chili powder.
Fiesta Layer Dip (close is good enough for this recipe!)
- Spread in layers on large plate or platter:
- 2 cans fat-free refried beans (try the black bean, yum!)
- Blend 8 oz. container of light sour cream together, 8 oz of Greek yogurt, and 1/2 pkg. taco seasoning mix (use more if you'd like, but it's higher in sodium.) Spread on top of beans.
- 3 cups shredded lettuce (darker leaves = healthier)
- 1-2 cans green chilies, drained
- 1 cup shredded light cheddar cheese
- 1/2 avocado, diced and tossed with 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 small can sliced black olives, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- Cube chunks of pineapple, strawberries, grapes, kiwi, or other firm fruit, and skewer on toothpicks. Fun and very popular!
- Cherry and grape tomatoes
- Celery sticks
- Baby carrots
- Broccoli and cauliflower
Black Bean Dip
Straight from the jar is often great!Creamy Dips
Make your own:
Make your own:
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can fat-free refried beans
- sprinkle with light shredded cheddar cheese
- heat until hot
Make your favorite standby dip recipe, but use half light sour cream and half Greek style low fat plain yogurt to replace the full-fat sour cream. Result? No one will know the difference, and every body will thank you!
Creamy Salsa Dip:
- 1 cup Salsa
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup Greek style low fat plain yogurt
Remember to offer plenty of light beer, calorie-free sodas, and bottled waters for lighter drink options for your guests!
Tomorrow, a recipe for your slow cooker on Sunday: Chicken Fiesta Soup.
Let us in on what you're serving for lighter Super Bowl fare!
-- What do YOU like to make for creamy dips? Do you have a special twist to share?
--What other dips and specialties can you think of that would serve up some health along with fun?
Remember: It's all about our choices... Make them healthy ones today!